Monday, December 04, 2006

On The Road..International Style

I think anyone who knows me, know that I like to do things on the spur of the moment. I've been known to make a trip to McDonalds at 1:00 in the morning, take a roadtrip to go to a concert in another state with very little notice, or decide the night before I'm to leave to go to the beach, to leave that night instead..rather than wait for the next day because it uses up time we could be at the beach. For once I had to do something spontaneous that even I think is a bit overboard. Last Thursday, when I get into work, my boss sends me an urgent email followed up immediately with a phone call telling me that it would be awesome if I could take a trip to our new office in the Netherlands...and to be there by Monday. I knew that a trip was in the works, but just earlier in the week I thought it was decided that it would wait until after the New Year. That plan changed very quickly. After talking with Sara, finding a corporate credit card I could use, and booking my flight, it was settled that I was flying to Amsterdam on Saturday. Nothing like planning an international trip in less than 2 days.

I flew out of D.C. on Saturday afternoon, caught a connecting flight in Newark, NJ that evening and landed in Amsterdam at 8 in the morning on Sunday. Oh and I met up with some people from our Kansas City office at the airport that I've never met before, so I could catch a ride with them up to our office in the small northern town of Zuidlaren. Everything went smoothly overall. Just had a 1 hour delay where all planes were stopped from taking off for awhile from DC, but since I had a 4 hour layover scheduled after that flight, it didn't bother me any, and I didn't get any sleep on the flight over thanks to the crying baby in the row in front of me.

Amsterdam was nice, it would have been better had it not been cold and rainy. From what I was able to see, it looked very cool with the canals that run all through the town. The village where the office is located, is a small village with little pubs, and restaurants spread out. Unfortunately my hotel is nowhere near the village, its out in the middle of nowhere..but we do have a Texas Roadhouse restaurant across the street!

Oh and each room comes with a queen sized bed! two twin beds!!



Last 5 Songs I've Listened To:
Tiger the Lion - The Tragically Hip
Amsterdam - Guster
John Brown - Agents of Good Roots
New Years Day - U2
Amsterdam - Coldplay

No comments: