Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Idiots! My mid-week rant..

Over the past week or so, I've discovered I have a new pet peeve here at work. The janitors who clean our bathrooms. I like and appreciate a clean bathroom just as much as the next person, but do they really need to clean the bathrooms during business hours? Can't they either do it sometime in the evening, once a majority of the people have left, or early in the morning before everybody gets here? Its not like the janitors work the same hours as everyone else in the building. I've been here at 10:00 PM, and have seen them in action (action as in cleaning, not action like 'hanky-panky') so I know that they do work well into the night.

The reason this bothers me is because lately at around 9:00 in the morning, they start making their rounds, cleaning the bathroom on my floor. This is usually around the same time that the coffee I had at home "kicks in", and I need to go visit the spacious handicapped stall..if you know what I'm getting at. A couple days I've tried to go pay my visit, and there's a sign saying its closed for cleaning. Usually this frustrates me, and then the urge is gone, and then my routine is out of whack. Yesterday I went to visit, and to my surprise, no sign! When I walked in, I almost wiped out due to the floor being wet from the mopping, and my new "styling" shoes not having any traction (which brings me to another point, shouldn't there be a sign remaining, warning of wet floors? Wait, should I have bit it? I could have gotten workers comp and/or a nice settlement for a slip and fall accident..). One other day I went to pay my visit, saw the coast was clear, but then started wondering if the janitor was going to come and try to clean while I was in there? I would be embarrassed if I'm in there, and the janitor knocks to see if the coast is clear, and I have to tell them to wait. I've seen that they wait outside the door until the last person comes out. I like to take my time while I'm in there (hey, I'm on the clock), I wouldn't want to be branded as the guy who takes forever. I might become a running joke among all of the janitors when they all get together and gossip. All of these worries made me decide to abort my mission until later in the day when I knew I wouldn't have to rush, and I wouldn't have to worry about the cleaning crew.

But to get back to the main point, seriously why would janitor's clean during normal business hours? I can see them making sure that the toiletries are stocked to their adequate levels, and performing any other maintenance on a as-needed basis, but to shut down the bathrooms? Maybe I should start a petition requesting that shutting them down should only happen during non-business hours.

Since I'm complaining, I have one more complaint...where is the freaking sun!?! Ever since Monday, its been cloudy, cold, rainy, and just overall dreary. I feel like I'm back in Michigan again. Unfortunately its supposed to be like this until Saturday.

Last 5 songs I've listened to:
Since I've Been Loving You - Led Zeppelin
Here I Go Again - Whitesnake
Who Am I (What's My Name)? - Snoop Doggy Dogg
The Sound of Settling - Death Cab for Cutie
Cold Turkey - John Lennon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's like how when you go to Target on a Saturday afternoon and you can't get through the dollar section because they're busy stocking it. All cleaning and/or stocking should be done on off hours. Don't mess with me when it comes to using the bathroom, or shopping the dollar section for that matter.

~Lori said...

This sounds like it would be an excellent episode of Seinfeld. You know, if it was actually still a show...