Tuesday, September 26, 2006

FINALLY!!!


(Photo: Steve Perez / The Detroit News)

So the Tigers clinched a playoff spot for the first time in 19 years on Sunday. It has been a looooong time coming. I can remember the last time they were in the playoffs. I can remember listening to the game on the radio the day they beat the Blue Jays in the final game of the season to earn the playoff spot. It sort of seemed like a long time for me, but when I really thought about it, I actually started realizing just how long ago it was.

I was 10 years old
My brother was only 5
I was in 3rd Grade
These were some of the top songs during 1987 (thanks Google):
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2
Who's That Girl - Madonna
La Bamba - Los Lobos
Bad - Michael Jackson
I Think We're Alone Now - Tiffany
Faith - George Michael
Livin' On a Prayer - Bon Jovi

Looking at it in those terms makes me realize just how long its been. I'm also now feeling really old as well.

Considering that at the beginning of the year all I was hoping for was 81 wins this year, making the playoffs is just an added bonus. To go from having 100+ losses over the past couple years, to contending not only for the playoffs, but for the best record in baseball, is quite the achievement. Hopefully the Tigers success will help brighten up the sports scene in Detroit, considering the lost cause that is known as the Lions are sucking yet again. That's been happening for 50+ years though, so that's nothing new.

I was lucky enough to get tickets to the 1st home playoff game in Detroit, and I can't wait to go. Now I just need to find out who they're playing and when the game will be.

Last 5 songs I've listened to:
Just What I Needed - The Cars
Crosstown Traffic - Jimi Hendrix
The Lemon Song - Led Zeppelin
Novocane for the Soul - Eels
I'm Gonna Miss Her (Fishin' Song) - Brad Paisley

No comments: