Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Prank Calling Will Never Get Old

Anyone who has known me for a long time, knows that I have always enjoyed prank calling people, and if you didn't know that, I'm willing to bet that you aren't suprised by this fact. There were numerous nights of boredom while at college in the lovely city of Ypsilanti, Michigan, where my roommates Joe, Mike, Boner, and myself, would prank call various friends around college, or even the live sexual issues themed show on Public Access cable in Ann Arbor. Our usual victim (we thought) was the answering machine of our friend Philip, who everyone knew as Phil McCracken....just because his name was Phil. We later found out that Phil never received the calls, they went to his neighbor. Of course, we were victims of the pranks as well, as our friend Joe would often call and leave messages claiming to be the owner of some type of sex website, and he was pulling our membership due to one of us not paying our monthly bill. It always seemed to happen when one of our parents was visiting our place. We would come back from dinner, to our apartment, and we'd walk in, see we had a message, and just push the play button and then once we realized what it was, we'd try to push stop, but it was too late. Anyways, we finally all moved out to separate places and the pranking stopped for the most part. Last week that all changed..

I was reading a story about the awesomely horrible looking movie Snakes on a Plane. I read that there was a website where you could enter someone's phone number, along with their name and a couple other tidbits of info, and then Samuel L. Jackson would then call that person telling them to go see the movie. It sounded too good to be true, so I went to check it out. I put in Sara's name, filled out the info, and then previewed what it would sound like. Perfection! It sounded great, so I sent it off to Sara, and minutes later I get an email from her saying she got it, and that it had surprised her. Once I heard that, I went to use it on others. Friends (yes if you got that call, it was probably from me), co-workers, etc. One of my buddy's here, Christian, who I play pranks with quite often, got a call from Lee (a lengendary prankster while in our office) who is in our office in Kansas City, asking why Samuel L. Jackson called him and told him that "he needed to take his life partner Christian to go see Snakes on a Plane". Surprisingly, they don't have a clue that it was me.

Last 5 songs played on my iPod:
The Outsiders - R.E.M.
Glad Tidings - Van Morrison
Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton
Ramble On - Led Zeppelin
Old Time Rock & Roll - Bob Segar & the Silver Bullet Band

1 comment:

~Lori said...

That was you?!? I've been playing that message for everyone- it's so funny!! (I love the part about getting on the subway w/ my life parter, Joe!) I figured it was some Verizon calling list thing.
Oh, Webb....its on now.

p.s.- see? Blogging is fun! :)