Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A Question of Etiquette

There is a question I have been struggling with for awhile, and have tried to see if I can come up with the correct answer myself, but so far I am not having any luck, and was wondering if someone out there either can point me to a definitive answer, or give me suggestions as to what to do. My question that I've been struggling with is:

What is the correct etiquette for conversations in public restrooms?

I don't think there's nothing wrong with having a conversation about something on the way in, and continuing the discussion in the bathroom, or even striking up a conversation with someone (someone you know that is) as long as you're next to each other in the urinal, or as long as there's no one else between you in the urinal. There are a few grey areas for me though.

1.) Is it ok to keep the conversation going, if one goes to the urinal, and the other goes into a stall? Personally, if I see someone start walking towards a stall, I'll end the conversation. If its me going into the stall, I'll try my best to end it. I don't want to talk over the wall..and besides I like my peace and quiet while I'm making a twosie.

2.) What if one is in a urinal, and the other is cleaning up at the sink? For me, it depends on how good of friends I am with the person, and if there's someone else in the bathroom. Its a very close scenario to #1, where you don't actually see the person you're talking to, and you kind of have to talk louder than a normal inside voice, since there's water running and stuff.

3.) If you know the person in the stall next to you, and its just the 2 of you in the bathroom, is it ok to talk to them? I'm thinking that's a no-brainer for a answer of NO. Again, I prefer peace and quiet.

4.) If you are in a scenario where one person walks in and sees you and starts talking to you, just as you are finishing up washing your hands (or vise-versa), how long are you obligated to talk to them if they initiate it? Do you try to end it ASAP and leave as politely as possible, or do you stand at the sink and continue the discussion? If you do continue the discussion, do you turn around and talk at the persons back, go to the door and try to leave ASAP, or do you continue the conversation while the person finishes up, and then washes and dries their hands? I really don't know an answer to this one. There's one guy on our floor, who I only seem to see in or on our way to the restroom. I don't interact with him on a work related basis. However like I said, I seem to only seem him in or near the restroom. Sometimes we'll start the conversation on the way in, but oftentimes, we end up in instance #3. If I'm on the way out, I usually just say a polite hey, so that I won't get stuck just standing there talking to him the whole time. Sometimes when I do say hey, he'll reply and then bring up a highlight from that morning's episode of SportsCenter, and then I'm left there awkwardly drying my hands for a long time while discussing some big story in baseball or basketball. The only other thing I could think of is to act like I don't see him, and try to avoid any conversation altogether.

Thoughts, ideas?!?

2 comments:

Sara said...

For me you can talk on the way in but all convo ends upon entering the stall. (since I can't relate to the urinal scenario) As far as one in the stall and one at the sink, it depends how good of friends you are. Kristen and I have been known to have conversations that way if we were the only ones in there. Gayle would talk the whole time you were in there doing your business and it was really annoying. She'd be done and would stand in there and keep talking waiting for you. That's just not okay.

~Lori said...

Here's what I think:
-If it's a friend, and you go in together, you're probably already talking, so it's OK to keep it up.
-If you run into someone in there and you are at the same 'phase' of your restroom visit, it's ok to chitchat, but not too much, because then it's just plain weird.
-If you pass in the restroom and you're in different phases of the visit, a quick Hi or nod will do.
-If it's a stranger (or near-stranger like your potty-buddy seems to be) there's no obligation for conversation past "hi" and if he keeps it up, that's kind of hinky, don't you think?
-Above all, once either one of you enters a stall, all bets are off. No talking. That's just plain uncomfortable.