Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Midweek Randomness

- I think that based on singing alone, after watching the final performances last night, that Jordin should win American Idol. I thought Blake won the first round, and Jordin won the second round by a very close margin, but Jordin clearly won the final round of the night. Having to sing that incredibly cheesy song as the last song of the night, was clearly not Blake's style, and he seemed to realize that as well. It looked like he had all he could do just to get the song over with. I think for Blake's sake, I hope he doesn't win tonight, since he would be stuck having to record that song as his first single. I wonder if he would get a better chance to put his own stamp on it if he does win? I really don't see how even he could save that song though.

- What is up with the gas prices? I paid $48.00 last night ($3.05/gallon) to fill up my Jeep. I thought that was bad, until I talked to Lloyd this morning, and he told me that gas is going for $3.58 in the Metro-Detroit area. I guess its a good thing that I'm flying up there next week for his wedding, and not driving. I'd have to take out a rather hefty loan just to fill up my tank for the round trip.

- Its a great time to be a fan of Detroit sports teams, well most of them anyways. The Pistons are looking like they are well on their way to the NBA Finals, and so far the Tigers are looking just as good as last year, and that's with out 2 of their key pitchers. The Red Wings made it to the conference finals, but really, its hockey so who cares? Now if only the Lions will start turning in the right direction, but that's probably too much to ask as long as Ford owns the team and Matt Millen is running the show.

- I seem to been listening to Van Halen a lot lately. I don't know why that is. I had put them on one morning on my way to work, to give me something loud to listen to in hopes it would help wake me up or something. Ever since then I keep going back. That's not a bad thing I don't think..I'm not ashamed to say that I'm a fan of the band. What it had done is made me wish that they would get back together (I'd be happy with either David Lee Roth, or Sammy Hagar) and tour again. I saw them back in '98 or '99 during the tour where they had their 3rd lead singer, but that doesn't seem like it should count. While musically it was great to see Eddie and Alex tear it up, it made me wish I could have seen them with one of their previous lineups. Maybe one day they'll throw their differences aside and get back together and do what they do best..rock it out.

- After seeing Gwen last week, I've been bitten by the concert bug again. I'd really like to go see some more concerts. I'd really like to see John Mayer in DC in July, as he is probably at the top of my list of people I really would like to see live. We've been talking about seeing Dave Matthews Band this August when they play up in DC. It's not really a summer unless I see DMB, since I've seen them at least once a year since 1996. You can usually count on a great show from them, and if I see them one more time, that will be DMB show #50 for me.

5 comments:

Sara said...

Van Halen?! Really?! I'm not sure I could name one song of theirs, though I'm sure I'd recognize a few if I heard them. Before my time I guess. LOL

You need to get right on taking care of those DMB tix.

A said...

Before your time!? I'm not that much older than you! Guess I'll have to bust out some VH at some point this weekend. You'll recognize a few songs, I'm sure.

Sara said...

Well I guess I was never really exposed to that type of music. We were a Madonna/Prince type of household.

~Lori said...

1. A little bit jealous here that you saw Gwen. i love her! Did the baby love her too???

2. I'd love to pay 3.05 for gas. It was 3.41 the other day. Ouch. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd think about riding my bike, but that will never happen, so I'll suck it up and pay the gas.

3. In my opinion, Blake threw the competition on purpose because he didn't want to have to win and sing that lame-o AI song for his first single, and he knew that Jordin needed to win AI to make it big, and he doesn't. He's a smart guy. I'm glad she won. It's how the world should be.

4. Have a good time at Lloyd's wedding. It must be wedding season! I'll see you at Mike's, right?

A said...

Yeah, I think Blake threw it at the end as well. He seemed extremely happy to be in 2nd place.

I will be at Mike's wedding. Is it true that Joe will be in Europe at that time?