Monday, May 21, 2007

Front row seats, moving, and sore legs.

So Sara and I went and saw Gwen Stefani this past Thursday up in Northern Virginia. We had great seats (front-row center), and I must say, I left the show pretty impressed. Going in, I wasn't exactly expecting much. The past few times I've seen her perform on TV (like American Idol), I thought she sounded horrible. I also figured that the show would be more focused on entertainment aspect (i.e. dancing with heavy choreography, massive lip-synching and/or a case of where the backup singers carry most of the load), and not the music. I couldn't have been more wrong.

It took the first couple of songs for us to get over the awesomeness of just how close our seats were. I then started looking to see if she was lip synching, but I realized that she didn't need to. For the most part her harajuku girls (spelling?), and back-up breakdancers carried the load as far as entertaining went. Occasionally she would run around and interact with the others, but for the most part she concentrated on the singing. There were quite a few of costume changes, but while that was going on, the band would be playing something, and the backup dancers would keep things rolling. I think one of the coolest parts of the show is when she jumped off the stage, ran to the back of the pavilion, and then performed the next song in the middle of the lawn, along with some of the guys in her band. The only other time I'd seen something like that done, is when I saw INXS at Pine Knob, and Michael Hutchence sang 2 songs from a random seat in the pavilion. Very cool. I would have to say that the funniest part of the night was when Gwen came out after a costume change, wearing a tank top. The first thing Sara says to me is "Look!!! She's got stretch marks!!!" I looked, and sure enough she did. We were so close we could see Gwen's stretch marks.

On Friday we finally made the big move. The movers came and moved all of our big furniture to our new place. Its nice to finally have that done with. We spent the rest of the weekend, with the help of Sara's mom, unpacking and trying to move the rest of our small stuff out of our old apartment in the ghetto. Even though we had professional movers move a lot of our stuff, I'm somehow still very sore. Its probably from climbing the 3 flights of stairs to load up our Jeeps with the smaller stuff from our old place. I think its safe to say that I will never live on a 3rd floor again. I hope I never get to the point where I have to live in an apartment again, let alone one that's not on a ground floor.

I can't wait for Memorial Day weekend to get here. I need a 3-day break. So far we've got a cookout to go to at Sara's aunt's house, which are always a lot of fun. I'm sure we'll end up doing some cooking out of our own at the nice patio at our new place as well.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I guess now I can just say my stretch marks are a fashion statement. I mean if Gwen can do it...LOL