Wednesday, March 07, 2007

American Idol Final 16 - The Guys

So after a pretty good week last week, the guys followed up with a major let-down. They crapped the bed, so to speak. I really think they should change the rules of the show. They should simply take the best 24 out of Hollywood week, and not divide it up into 12 guys and 12 girls, and every week in the semifinals, get rid of 4 every week, and not keep an even ratio of guys to girls. If it is deemed that of the final 24, 22 of the best contestants are girls, I'm fine with that. I would rather watch that, than have to sit through weeks of watching guys like this:




Anyways, on to last nights show:

Blake Lewis - As I've said before, one of my favorite contestants. Gave an ok performance overall. I think if you're trying to be something of a more modern performer, you should pick songs that are relevant now. Both the song "All Mixed Up", and the band 311 haven't been relevant since..oh..1997ish. At least it was up-beat, and he did get to use a bit of the beatbox stuff again.

Sanjaya - I'm not going to waste my time with him. He sucks. He's gotta go, but I'm sure he'll stay because there's probably a lot of people out there who think he's cute, feel sorry for him because he's so young, and that he had to watch his sister get kicked out during Hollywood week. Plus I'm a bit bitter because he completely slaughtered a song from one of my favorite musicians. Please for the love of god, don't make us put up with him anymore.

Sundance Head- Another one who I don't think deserves to be here. He sucked during Hollywood week, yet somehow made it through based on his inital audition way back when. I think the 3 judges are sorry they put him through. Absolutely killed a great song. He doesn't really scream "grunge" to me. If he's gonna sing, he should stick to songs that have a more soulful sound to them. Him singing Pearl Jam would be like Taylor Hicks trying to sing Nirvana Also I'd like him gone because I don't want to have to seem him cry all night everytime there's an elimination show.

Chris Richardson - I think his was the best performance last night. I think by nailing a country song like he did, proved that he's probably the most versatile out of everyone there. He even sang with a bit of a twang. Seeing as he can change things up, and not pigeonhole himself into a specific category, I think he could sneak in and be the one guy who stays the longest.

Jarred Cotter - He did ok. I don't think Stevie Wonder is his genre. A few times when he started hitting the high notes, he was very close to losing it, but he kept it under control. I don't think he did much to stand out from the rest of the people though.

Brandon Rogers - Boring. I hate songs that just repeat the same words over and over. Ok, you want to celebrate...I get the idea. Something about him annoys me. I think he could be one of the ones going home.

Phil Stacey - Another one that I think should go home, but he'll get some sympathy votes since he's in the military, and he missed the birth of his kid because he was at the audition. His song started out horrible, but got better. I think he really needs to grow some hair, he looks a bit unhealthy (if you know what I mean). Also I think if you painted his head green, he would look a lot like this guy:




Here's Phil for comparison's sake:



Chris Sligh - I really like him a lot as well, I just wish he would sing some songs that are a bit more mainstream. I mean, last night he sang a song by the band DC Talk. I haven't heard of them since I was a junior in high school at the prison camp private school. I was a bit bored not knowing the song. Overall, I'd say it was the 2nd best performance of the night though.

So the girls go tonight...I hope they give a better show tonight. At least we can be assured that watching Antonella will be like watching a train-wreck. I wonder which song that is out of her league she'll be attempting tonight....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the update! I missed it last night and our DVR is clogged with [boring] history things, and it deleted it before I got to watch it!!
Arrrrgh.
I'll be watching tonights though.
~Lori