Thursday, March 08, 2007

American Idol Final 16 - The Girls

So after a crappy night by the guys, the girls came back and for the most part, all gave good performances. Then again, after Tuesday's show, it was virtually impossible to get any worse than what the guys did.

Jordin Sparks - sang 'Heartbreaker'. Was a pretty good performance, though she seemed to run out of breath towards the end. I don't know if it was the best song choice for her, but she didn't jeopardize her chances.

Sabrina Sloan - I thought she did a good job at covering En Vogue's 'Don't Let Go'. It was good though, and not great. When they said that she was the next to perform, I couldn't remember which one she was until they showed her. She should make it through, but unless she starts giving some great memorable performances, she'll have a tough time topping some of the other girls. She should stick around for awhile though, since 6 guys will be making it into the finals. I'm sure she's better than 3 of the guys.

Antonella Barba - Did a decent job, and wasn't the trainwreck of a performance that I was hoping for. She sang 'Put Your Records On', which is a song I like quite a bit. She finally found her niche, but its a few weeks too late. Had she sung this when the semi-finals started, and built off that experience, she could have gotten better as the weeks went on, but she waited until this week to sing something in her range. Compared with the other girls, she don't belong on the same stage. I think the 3 judges finally came to grips with the fact that they screwed up by bringing her to this stage, none of them had much good to say about what was her best performance. I think Simon is trying to pursuade the public to get rid of her, by basically saying she didn't have a good singing voice. Something tells me she'll be back next week though.

Haley Scarnato - most bland performance of the night. I don't think much of Faith Hill though, so anyone singing anything by her, automatically loses my interest. I don't think she'll be back, and Simon said it best, when he told her that he didn't "even know her name". She's been mediocre the whole time.

Stefanie Edwards - a performance I didn't get. Sara and I were both waiting for it to be over, it seemed like a lot of screaming and vocal runs (which I can't stand). All the judges liked it though, and said she should make the final 12.

LaKisha Jones - Another solid performance, and probably her 2nd best of the 3 weeks. After she was done, I assumed that she probably delivered the best performance of the night., since she sang Whitney flawlessly, which doesn't happen much on this show. Unless something dramatic happens between now and the finals, I think she'll be in the final 2.

Gina Glocksen - She finally came out and gave the rocking performance that the judges have been waiting for. I liked it because its completely different from the rest of the girls that are left, and since she's different, she really stands out. I hope she sticks around to provide some variety to the finals. I think she should make it to the final 5 or 6...as long as she sticks with the type of stuff she sang last night.

Melinda Doolittle - Best performance of the night, and in my opinion, the 2nd best performance of the season (right after LaKisha's performance in the 1st week). When I first heard the song, I thought maybe it might be a bit old fashioned, but she rocked it out, and brough the Yo (as Randy likes to say). She seemed like she was almost possessed or something. She's definitely safe, and I think will be facing LaKisha in the final episode.

Not a bad night. If we were judging on singing performance alone, then Antonella and Haley should be going home tonight for the girls, but I have a feeling that Antonella will be staying.

According to the reliable website dialidol.com, Stephanie and Haley will be going home for the girls, and Phil and Sundance will be going home for the guys. I guess time will tell.

No comments: