Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Crazy Weather

While growing up in Michigan, the months of December and January usually meant the weather was cold and snowy. It was that way most of my life. I honestly can't remember a Christmas or New Years where there wasn't snow on the ground. One of the main reasons (aside from the crappy economy) that I moved out of Michigan right after I graduated from EMU, was to get away from the dreary never-ending winters that we got every year. I love the climate here in Virginia. The summers are hot, and they last longer than 5 weeks. Spring is awesome, and the Fall season is great, with the temperatures staying on the warm to cool side. The Winters are 10,000 times better. The temps are usually chilly, and we usually get one or two decent snowfalls, and when it does snow, its gone within a couple days. The first full winter I lived here (2001-2002), we got something like 6 inches total for the entire season. Awesome!

This year has been completely unlike anything I've ever experienced. It hasn't been all that cold yet. Its a littly chilly in the morning on the way to work, but I've only had to scrap a light layer of frost off my car maybe 3 times so far. This past Saturday it was in the high 70's, and I for a time, contemplated wearing shorts...just because I could. Coming back from Blake's basketball practice, we noticed that trees around his school were budding. While this is completely out of the ordinary, the most bizzare thing that I've seen took place while we were in Virginia Beach over New Years weekend. When we got to our hotel room on the beach on December 30th, we stepped out on the balcony to check out the view and enjoy the sounds of the waves, but we were unable to hear the waves due to the maintenance man mowing the grass below us. He wasn't mowing the lawn just to mow it, the grass was actually needed to be cut.

Of course now that I've bragged about the awesome weather we've been having here, I'm sure that I've completely jinxed myself, and we'll probably be hit by a Nor'Easter this weekend. Because I have awesome luck like that.

No comments: